Vegan Miso Soup
Ingredients: For the Dashi (broth):
- 8 cups filtered water
- 3 dried shitake mushrooms
- 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled, and sliced into thin circular pieces
- For the Miso Soup:
- 1 cup reserved broth
- 1/2 cup brown rice miso
- 8oz buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3.5oz shitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 7oz extra firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3-4 green onions, finely chopped
Instructions: For the Dashi (broth):
Fill a large pot with water and add dried mushrooms, and ginger. Turn heat on to medium and let cook until just before the water begins to boil. Turn off the heat and remove the mushrooms and ginger with a slotted spoon.
For the Miso Soup:
While the dashi is still hot, reserve about 1 cup and mix with the miso in a bowl until miso is smooth consistency, free of any lumps.
In a separate pot, cook the soba noodles according to the directions on the package (about 8 minutes in boiling water).
Heat the dashi over medium heat and add the garlic, kale, mushrooms,
ginger, and tofu. Let cook about 5-10 minutes.
Separate the soba noodles into bowls for serving. Pour the miso soup over the noodles. Garnish with green onion and option to garnish.