'Tis the Season of Cranberries
During the winter months these beautifully bright red little fruits appear almost everywhere. We see them in sauce, around the dinner table and just on wreaths for decor. The holidays, truly are the season of Cranberries.
So what’s so special about these tart little fruits?
Well, they make delicious cranberry sauce (you know you love it as much as we do). But, in all seriousness cranberries are actually one of the oldest fruits that have been harvested on American soil. They are also native to North America and believe it or not there are still bushels that have been growing cranberries for the past century! Isn’t that amazing?
Still not excited about Cranberries?
Let’s learn about some of their health benefits that can help you live a healthier life…
1. They are filled with vitamins such as
- Vitamin A- aids your immune system, skin and eyes.
- Vitamin C- helps your immunity, energy, and stress.
- Vitamin D- great for maintaining bone and heart health.
- Vitamin E- improves and re-hydrate your skin and hair.
- Vitamin K- essential for blood clotting, bone health, and brain function.
2. Contain great sources of Calcium, Magnesium, and Manganese.These minerals can help improve or support your bone and heart health.
3. They contain a phytonutrient called Anthocyanin which is responsible for the bright red pigmentation and is an extremely strong antioxidant. This phytonutrient has also been known to be used in old times to help treat hypertension, diarrhea, urinary tract infections, liver disorders, kidney problems, colds and flu’s.
4. Because they are an extremely potent source of antioxidants, they’re great for inflammation. They also contain a chemical called salicylic acid which is found in Aspirin.
Isn’t it amazing?
Here’s the thing though, a lot of people know that cranberries are good for you (usually best known for treating Urinary tract infections), so they drive down to their local grocery store and stock up on Cranberry juice.
Hold on just a second...
Yup, put down that cranberry juice and go grab some fresh cranberries.
Why choose Cranberries over Cranberry juice
Well, cranberries are excellent sources of antioxidants. However, once they’re drenched in sugar and processed so many times to create the “cranberry juice” they are no longer potent. By the time you drink a glass of Cranberry juice you’re only getting about less than 5% of the fruits actual nutrition.
Fun Fact: Did you know that only about 5% of cranberries that are harvested per year are eaten, while 95% of cranberries are used primarily for Cranberry juice!
So what can you do?
Well, always look for organic fresh cranberries as your number one source, as they will have the highest nutritional value. If cranberries are too bitter for your taste buds, then maybe try finding them in other sources.
Just like our Vegan Vanilla Proteini, it actually contains cranberry protein! When we say you’re getting whole foods in our juice powders, we mean it. We put nothing but the cleanest and organic ingredients into our juices. Don’t believe us, check out all of our products here.
For more SMART lifestyle tips like this, visit http://www.smartpressedjuice.com and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, or like us on Facebook. You can also visit our Amazon store to stock up on our delicious juices.