This bowl is a hearty whole food bowl on its own, but to make it more fun throw it into a crunchy corn taco bowl or serve with a side of warm whole wheat tortillas.
Makes 4 to 6 servings - Prep time: 15 minutes - Cook time: 8 minutes
2 cups fresh corn off the cob, or thawed frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups black beans cooked fresh, or 2 cans salt-free black beans, strained and rinsed well
3 cups short-grain brown rice, cooked
1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
1/2 cup dry-toasted pumpkin seeds
Hot sauce (optional)
Whole wheat or corn tortillas, warmed (optional)
Ingredients & Directions for Red Pepper Pico:
1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
3/4 Roma tomato, seeded and finely minced
1/4 cup red onion, small diced
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely minced
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Sea salt to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, gently toss all ingredients well.
Ingredients & Directions for Avocado-Jalapeño Crème:
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 jalapeño, seeded
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup almond or soy milk, unsweetened
Sea salt to taste
- In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, add the freshly shucked or thawed corn. Mix with the cumin, chili powder, and onion powder.
- Spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper and spread corn evenly. Roast for 5 minutes, remove, allow to cool and save for later.
- To assemble the bowls: Evenly distribute the beans, rice, roasted corn, and lettuce in each bowl. To each bowl with Red Pepper Pico and Avocado-Jalapeño Crème, and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce, if you like, and warmed whole wheat tortillas or corn crunchy taco bowls to assemble and enjoy your own healthy taco dish!