This rich and hearty dish takes less than thirty minutes to get on the table, thanks to quick cooking quinoa!
Makes 4 servings - Prep time: 12 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup cooked quinoa, well rinsed and drained
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups small cauliflower florets
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1½ cups cooked salt-free canned dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup vegetable broth
8 ounces (about 6 cups) chard, kale, or spinach, tough stems removed, chopped
- Combined the rinsed quinoa, turmeric, and the 2 cups of vegetable broth or water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the quinoa to steam.
- Uncover and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set aside and keep warm.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat 1/4 cup of water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cauliflower, coriander, paprika, thyme, cumin, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Add the kidney beans and the 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the chard, stirring to wilt/ Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- To serve, spoon the quinoa into shallow bowls and top with beans and vegetables. Serve hot and enjoy!