A sushi roll with rice is not what you would expect... But that's a good thing! These rolls will boost your skin's moisture and elasticity, and provide your body with tons of vitamins and minerals from fresh chopped vegetables!
Makes 4 rolls of 6 pieces each - Prep time: 15 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Ginger Almond Spread:
1/2 cup almond butter
2 tablespoons white miso
1 tablespoon umeboshi plum paste
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari
1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
Pinch of cayenne (optional)
Ingredients for the rolls:
4 sheets nori
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cucumber, cut into "matchsticks"
1/2 carrot, cut into "matchsticks"
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup red bell pepper, cut into "matchsticks"
- To make the spread, stir together the almond butter, miso, umeboshi paste, cider vinegar, Liquid Aminos, and honey in a medium bowl. Add the sesame seeds, ginger, green onion, garlic and cayenne, if using, and stir well to combine. (Note: the filling should be quite thick.)
- To assemble the rolls, place 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on a sushi mat (If you don't own a mat, you can use a kitchen towel or place it directly on your work surface.)
- Smear 3 tablespoons of the spread evenly across the bottom third of the nori sheet, leaving 1 inch of the sheet exposed at the bottom, but spreading all the way to the edge on the left and right sides.
- Lay about a quarter of the filling vegetables in a horizontal line on top of the spread. For a nice touch, extend the vegetables 1/2 inch past the sides of the nori sheet to create decorative end pieces.
- Moisten the top edge of the nori with a little water. Carefully lift the edge closest to you up and over the filling and squeeze firmly in place.
- Lift your end of the mat up and use it to help you continue rolling you reach the moistened nori and seal the roll.
- Wrap the mat around the whole roll and squeeze gently to secure. Remove the roll from the mat and place it seam-side down. (Alternatively, use your hands to firmly and evenly roll up the sushi.) Use a moistened knife to slice it into 6 pieces. Repeat with remaining ingredients and nori.