It doesn't have to be Valentine's Day for you to share this steamy rice bowl for two from a large decorative bowl with two pairs of chopsticks.
Makes 2 servings - Prep time: 10 minutes - Cook time: 45 minutes
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
1/4 pound chicken tenderloins or 4 ounces tofu, cubed
2 cups broccoli florets
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
1 sheet toasted nori, cut or torn into small pieces
1/4 cup 100% orange juice
1/2 teaspoon barley miso
- Combine broth, 2/3 cup water, rice, and chicken (if using) in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender (around 35 minutes)
- Scatter broccoli and carrots over rice mixture, cover, and continue to cook until vegetables are tender (about 6 to 8 minutes more).
- Transfer broccoli and carrots to a plate, then shred chicken or add tofu, stirring it into the rice.
- Spoon the rice and chicken into a large bowl and nicely arrange the broccoli, carrots, pepper, avocado, and nori on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and miso. Drizzle over the bowl, or serve on the side for dipping. Enjoy!