This vegetarian stroganoff recipe is so warm and comforting, and easy to make in just under an hour!
Makes 4 to 6 servings - Prep time: 25 minutes - Cook time: 30 minutes
2/3 cups raw cashews
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Pinch fine sea salt
1½ pounds assorted mushrooms
3 shallots, thinly sliced
2½ cups mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or dill, for garnish
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover by about 1 inch with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain, discarding the soaking liquid.
- In a blender, combine cashews, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and salt, and blend until smooth. Add more water (one tablespoon at a time) as needed to make a cashew cream. Note: the consistency should resemble sour cream.
- Halve or quarter small mushrooms, and thickly slice large ones. Place mushrooms and shallots in a heavy pot and set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms being to brown. Add in the broth a few tablespoons at a time to keep mushrooms from sticking to the pan.
- Cook, adding more broth as needed, until mushrooms are browned and softened. This should take around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining broth, mustard, paprika, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer until mushrooms are very tender and sauce is thickened, around 25 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cashew cream. Garnish with parsley or dill and serve with the remaining cashew cream on the side, enjoy!