The combo of creamy cauliflower and cannellini beans is the best prescription for a cold wintery day. Pair this flavorful soup with crunchy garlic croutons for a hearty meal either on its own or with your favorite sides!
Makes 4 servings - Prep time: 25 minutes - Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the Soup:
2 cups white onion, diced
1/2 cup garlic, chopped
7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 cup white Japanese sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 (15oz) can white cannellini beans, strained and rinsed well
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1½ tablespoons onion powder
1½ tablespoons garlic powder
Sea salt to taste
Ingredients for the Croutons:
4 slices whole grain bread, cubed
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Splash of low-sodium vegetable broth
- Place a large soup pot on medium-high heat. When the pot is heated add the onion and dry-sauté until the onion begins to stick to the pan and becomes slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir well, allowing everything to sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth to unstick the onions and garlic from the pan, and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining soup ingredients and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for around 12 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it becomes smooth and creamy. Note: if you don't have an immersion blender feel free to (carefully) dump everything into a blender, blend until smooth, and return to the pot!
- Place the pot on low heat and continue to cook the soup for an additional 5-8 minutes, allowing the soup to reduce slightly. Season with sea salt to taste.
- For the Croutons: preheat the oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, toss the cubed bread with the spices and add a splash of the vegetable broth (it will help allow the spices to stick). Place them on a pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 4-6 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove the croutons and enjoy with your delicious soup!