A chocolatey fruity breakfast with all the benefits of savory whole grains? Yes, please!
Makes 1 serving - Prep time: 5 minutes - Cook time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for the BROL (barley, rye, oats and lentils) - makes 5 cups:
1/2 cup dried black lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup hulled barley, rinsed
1/2 cup rye berries, rinsed
1/2 cup oat groats, rinsed
1 cup BROL, warmed
1 tablespoon unsweetened cacao powder
1 tablespoon date syrup or blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons pistachio pieces
1/2 cup fresh pitted or thawed frozen cherries
- To prepare the BROL, use an electric pressure cooker or multicooker to pressure cook the lentils in 1 cup of water on high. Allow time for natural pressure release so the remaining water gets absorbed.
- Remove the cooked lentils from the pot and set aside.
- Combine the barley, rye, and oat groats in the cooker. Stir in 3 cups of water. Pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils to the cooked grains and toss gently to combine.
- Spoon the BROL into a bowl. Sprinkle with the coca and then drizzle with date syrup. Add the pistachio and half of the cherries, stir until combine. Garnish with the remaining cherries and serve!