Cabbage and barley go together like peanut butter and jelly! These rolls are sure to become a favorite of yours.
Makes 4 servings - Prep time: 10 minutes - Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons white miso paste
1 (28oz) can salt-free crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Filling:
2 cups cooked barley
3 cups cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, finely minced
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon white miso paste
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Ground black pepper
*1 large head purple cabbage
- To prepare the tomato sauce, heat 1/4 cup of water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the miso paste, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, parsley, and black pepper to taste. Lower the heat to low, cover and cook until the flavors are well dispersed, around 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed, set aside.
- To prepare the filling, in a bowl combine all the filling ingredients and mix well, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To prepare the cabbage, trim the cabbage of any damaged leaves an use a sharp knife to cut out the core.
- Place the cabbage (cut side down) in a large pot along with enough water to cover, and then bring to a boil. Cook until the leaves soften and begin to unfold, about 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the leaves as soon as they soften and carefully place them on a plate to cool. Continue until you have at least 12 cooked leaves.
- One at a time, arrange the leaves on a cutting board with the stem end nearest to you. Place about 1/4 cup of filling at the stem end.
- Fold the stem end and sides over the filling and roll the cabbage leaf up tightly. Continue until all the cabbage rolls have been made.
- To assemble and serve, spread half of the sauce onto the bottom of a large, shallow baking dish. Arrange the cabbage rolls, seam side down, on top of the sauce. Spoon all but 1 cup of sauce over the cabbage rolls, and then cover the rolls with 3 to 4 leftover leaves.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the leaves. Cover the baking dish tightly and bake for 45 minutes, or until the rolls are tender. Serve hot and enjoy!